So as we all know you need to deploy your software somehow….
In most cases WinZip self extractor would do but it does not look professional in any way, or for others Microsoft’s Package and Deployment wizard just creates too many file (or you just don’t use visual studio at all…).
So there are many free tools or some that cost an arm and a leg (I personally think that anything over $100 is too high for something that does not generate revenue for me).
So I was looking for a simple application that would package my software and scripts in a nice way and won’t break the bank.
I found a few open source application like NSIS that are either too robust for me with their full blown installer or too simple with their Zip2Exe plug in.
So I found Install Simple – Linky via Google and had a quick run with it.
So the main things I liked on it were
* Simplicity – easy and straight forward
* Similar look to a full installer – the installer looks like it was built with a full blown installer
* Packages – Save your packages
* Registry Control – I code everything “Registry” in my apps but it’s a nice feature
* Ability to change the look of the GUI (not much but enough)
* Uninstall feature
* No options for silent command line execution – I need silent installs
* Can’t change the icon of the package – Not a big one but would be a great feature!
* Can’t Execute files after install is done – Now this one is a must! even with a question during the compiling process and if after a reboot it could be added to the runounce of windows
* “Registry” pull data from the registry and utilize it with the installer
Click on read more to follow the guide